What is SEM?
What is SEM? SEM or search engine marketing, is the process of increasing your sites visibility in search engine result pages.
SEM and SEO – Comparison
SEM is the broader method that includes SEO. SEM includes organic search results (SEO) as well as paid search results, like those from Google AdWords and/ or Microsoft adCenter. SEM also uses pay per click advertising and article submission, hence making certain that SEO has been used. For both SEO and SEM, a keyword analysis is normally performed (It is not essential for the analysis to be done at the same time). SEM and SEO must constantly be updated and monitored to adjust for evolving with the best possible ways to market.
North American Market
What is SEM ‘s significance in today’s market? In 2008, Advertisers from North America (not including other continents) spent over $13 ½ billion (US) on SEM! The largest amounts of contributors were internet giants: Google AdWords, Yahoo! Search Marketing and Microsoft adCenter.
SEM is so effective in today, that many marketers have switched using other forms of advertising, and instead started using SEM. Because of the complex technology involved with SEM, many agencies hand over their marketing to other marketers because they know that although they must pay another agency to do their marketing, SEM will still come through with significant results.
How does SEM work?
SEM works either through organic search results as well as advertisement through major search engine companies or other types of social media campaigns or media campaigns.
How can I improve my SEM?
In order to understand how SEM truly works, one must understand what SEM is in depth. Whenever you type any particular phrases in any search engine sites, they try to match these keywords with the websites which they have similarities within the following:
- A good ranking
- A good amount of referral links
- Domain age (the older the better)
- An exact match to the search phrase
- And many more…
As soon as the search engine finds the above categories in the WebPages, it will show them as first second and counting.
However there are some parts inside the pages of each search engine also known as sponsored links.
These places are for companies that they are trying to show they have similar product and services and most of the time they are pushing their product and services through pages called landing page for maximum efficiency and less bounce rate.
There are several ways of increasing your sites visibility however there are two main ones that we will explain and they have proven to be really effective
On Page Optimization
There are around 12 golden rules to make your web page search engine friendly
- Have keywords the most important rule of any SEO/SEM.
- The keyword should appear in the first paragraph of the copy.
- The body of the text should be greater than the 300 word. The Meta description should contain the primary keyword / phrases.
- The page title should contain keyword / phrase, at the beginning which is considered to improve rankings.
- The keyword density should be 1.5% to 1.9%, more than these numbers it might be confused as a spam page with million keywords in it.
- This page should have outbound links.
- The images on the page should contain alt tags with the target keyword / phrase.
- Consider the Flesch Reading Ease score. The recommended minimum of 40 characters is required for page title.
- Use the space to add keyword variations or create compelling call-to-action copy.
- The keyword / phrase should appear in the URL for the page The Meta description should be up to 150 characters.The available space is 155, Google will also include the publication date in the snippet
Off Page Optimization
The main important aspect of off page optimization is having other websites refer to your site with the set of keywords you have provided. It’s an easy solution but it requires constant backlink buildings for your website.
If you have already created your SEO friendly pages this process is really simply and useful. The other similar technique for off page optimization is directory submission. There are a lot of online directories out there that you can provide with your links and description of your website.
Hopefully by now you have understood the basic concept to sem. If you are still asking “what is sem” or if you have any further questions please contact us via our from or you can call our toll free number for more information (+1) 888-748-9022
For more information regarding MQVL, SEO, SEM, social media marketing, or any other important aspect of web design, please Contact MQ Solutions. Feel free to contact us about inquires and quotes about started up your new website, and please feel free to click on any of the highlighted links for more information regarding Search engine marketing and SEO.